Kinect SDK for Windows

Jun 18, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Hi all,

Was just wondering if this framework will be ported to the new Kinect SDK. Really enjoy the fast skeleton recognition in the new SDK, but MotionFX speeds up development. 

Arnoud

Coordinator
Jun 18, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Yes, we do have plans to soon add support for the Kinect SDK in addition to OpenNI. Of course, you cannot use the currently available Kinect SDK for commercial purposes.

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Let me add my voice to the list (which I KNOW must be longer than just one) of people who would love to see this with Kinect SDK support.

In the interim, I'm trying to work out if it would be possible to use the Kinect SDK for its audio capabilities alongside MotionFX on top of OpenNI/NITE and Avin's Kinect drivers. I guess probably not...

Steve

Coordinator
Jun 22, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Thanks for the vote of support Steve! I'm working on this now, as well as other changes for MotionFx v0.3.

It might be possible to install the Kinect SDK audio driver and control (Motor) driver with the OpenNI camera driver, but the Kinect SDK API may depend upon all three drivers. Please let us know if you try it out! It's probably be easiest to install the Kinect SDK, then uninstall the camera driver and manually select the OpenNI driver location.

Josh

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Thanks Josh,

I tried this yesterday and it wasn't happy. Firstly I tried just disabling the Official Microsoft Kinect camera driver but the NUI stuff in the SDK didn't start up correctly. Just for belt and braces I tried replacing the MS camera driver with the OpenNI one but I had the same problem.

I suppose I could get around this by not instantiating any NUI stuff, but for my particular project this isn't the way to go.

Good news on MotionFX v0.3! I can't wait to have a play. (And my project is a research one, so no problems with the license.)

Steve